Self Guided Salt Water Fishing
Whaler's Cove Lodge offers the widest variety of fishing available in Alaska. You can choose to target a wide array of species on a daily basis. King, Silver, Pink & Chum Salmon to halibut, pacific cod, pollack, ling cod, black cod, and 25 species of rock fish including the massive Shortraker rock fish!
Self Guided packages are a minimum of three days and are based on vessel availability at time of booking. Self guided days are for salt water anglers only! Any shore based or fresh water excursions must be guided. Call for details.
We offer self guided packaged for the experienced boater/angler. Our fleet of 22' to 24' welded aluminum boats with 200 hp Yamaha outboards are perfect for exploring the protected waters surrounding Whaler's Cove Lodge. All boats are completely outfitted with VHF radios, Raymarine video fish finders/GPS units with Navionics electronic charts, all gear, safety equipment, bait, fuel & fish cooler loaded with ice. All you need to do is get on and go! We clean your boat and restock your gear at the end of each day.
Your Catch is Processed!
When you return to the dock at the end of the day, your fish will be off loaded and hung for a end of the day photo opportunity! Your catch is then cut to your specification, vacuum sealed, and flash frozen. Your fish will be boxed in airline-approved shipping boxes for your trip home. The taste of Alaska shared with family and friends will be a wonderful part of your Alaskan fishing adventure. Each package trip includes 100 to 200 lbs. of boxed weight processing. The fish you catch is the fish you take home!
All Salt Water Tackle Provided!
At Whaler's Cove Lodge, we provide the gear so you don't have to. For our saltwater self guided anglers, we provide a wide array of tackle for the variety of fishing in our area. As for the rods & reels, Custom 8' salmon rods with Shimano Tekota 600LC (line counter) reels are our standard for salmon on the down-rigger or mooching (the same used for early morning herring!) .
As for bottom fishing, we use our custom heavier stand-up rods and Shimano Tekota 800 star drag reels designed for the wide range of species that you will pull from the depths.
Self Guided Angler Crew Assistance
Upon arrival at the lodge, staff members will assist in showing you to your assigned boat, take you through its operation and emergency procedures, talk over the array of tackle and gear that is provided. Please note: by Alaska State Law and US federal regulations we are not allowed to give you any information or assistance in your fishing effort. If you feel the need for a primer in our area we recommend your first trip or two be on a fully guided vessel. 6, 7 & 8-day combination guided/self-guided trips are available. This is a great way to learn from an on-board guide your first 3 to 4 days, then switch to a self-guided boat and go at it yourself for the last 3 to 4 days!
Round-Trip Transportation: Between Juneau to Whalers Cove Lodge is Included!Round trip float plane ( www.WardAir.com) or high speed catamaran ferry trip (charted through Allen Marine), including 50 lbs of inbound and outbound personal luggage per person; Includes 100 lbs to 150 lbs of outbound processed fish per person (depending on length of trip). The three and four day packages include 2 - 50 lb boxes per person, the seven day package includes 3 - 50 lb boxes per person
Gourmet Food, Snacks and Non-Alcoholic Beverages
- Daily Hot Breakfast and Alaskan Sized Gourmet Family Dinner served buffet style in the main lodge
- A Lunch Buffet is set out every morning for you to choose just the right lunch for your tastes.
- All beverages, mixers and bottled water are provided
LodgingClean, comfortable rooms and cabins with private bathrooms are situated on the lodge property ADA Accessible rooms are available
Daily Room ServiceOur professional and friendly housekeeping staff will make up and clean your room daily.
Laundry ServiceWe provide daily guest laundry services so you don't have to bring your whole wardrobe...all complimentary!
Self-Guided Packages Include Modern Fish Processing
- 22' to 24' fishing boat equipped with video fish finders, radios and power tilt outboard motors, all safety equipment, fish coolers loaded with ice, all fishing gear and tackle, bait and fuel.
- Self Guide Package Availability is based on a first come first serve basis
- Daily fish cleaning and cutting to your specifications, commercial vacuum packaging and flash freezing is all included.
- Boxes are wet-lock, insulated airline approved for checked in baggage, and hold up to 50 pounds each.
- The three (3) and four (4) day packages include 2 - 50lb boxes per person (100 lbs)
- The six (6) and seven (7) day packages include 3 - 50lb boxes per person (150 lbs)
- The eight (8) day packages include 4 - 50lb boxes per person (200 lbs)
Fishing EquipmentAll Rods, Reels, Downriggers, Tackle and Bait...it's all included!
Other Gear Provided
- Grundens Professional Grade Rain Bibbs & Jackets
- XTRATUFF Rubber Calf Length Boots
- All boating safety equipment required by USCG regulations
- Kayaks and related safety equipment are available for guest use at your leisure ***Based on availability of vessels at time of booking!***
- Alaska state fishing license and King salmon stamp (Under $100 per person)
- Excess fish processing ($3.00 per lb over alloted package amount)
- Excess luggage over 50lbs on float plane transportation.
- Fuel Surcharge may apply, announced January of each year.